POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Import 3ds -> mesh question : Re: Import 3ds -> mesh question Server Time
26 Jun 2024 04:25:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Import 3ds -> mesh question
From: mcavoys
Date: 18 Jul 2003 11:18:33
Message: <3f180fbe.65040373@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:54:03 -0500, "Kman" <mzu### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

>All,
>
>What's the trick to importing a 3ds model (say with 3dwin) and then being
>able to convert the udo to a mesh, again? I'd read it somewhere in this
>group, but can't find it anywhere. All my imports leave the convert to mesh
>button greyed out. (I'm using 3.5RC2.)
>
>Also, are there any advantages (ie better quality models) when using obj or
>any other format over 3ds format? Thots?
>
>-Kman

There are two ways to do this that I have found.

1.	Convert the 3DS file into a RAW file with 3DWin then in Moray (if you
have the 3DWin plugin);
File > Import >3DWin Special
Import the RAW file then convert to Mesh

2.	Convert/export the file to an Alias Wavefront *.obj file theb convert
the *.obj file to a UDO using PoseRay.
This will convert to Mesh.

The second method is the one I prefer.

I use OBJ because I like the way PoseRay converts the materials from Poser 4
also my copy of Poser does not produce 3DS files that the current 3DWin reads.
I've not noticed any difference in model quality, but then I've not looked.

Regards
        Stephen